Panel Of Extremism Experts Answer Questions On How To Counter Extremism
This is Episode 6 in a 6 part video series analyzing radical right extremists. Here’s episode 1, episode 2, episode 3, episode 4, and episode 5.
Rantt Media has been partnered with the Centre For Analysis of the Radical Right (CARR) for about 3 years now. We’ve published over 150 articles from CARR’s network of PhDs, historians, professors, and experts analyzing extremism and combating disinformation. Now, we’ve done a 6 part video series analyzing radical right extremism and discussing how we can tackle this growing threat.
We saw the culmination of the threat of radical right extremism at the January 6 insurrection and in an increasing number of terrorist attacks over the past several years. We take this threat seriously at Rantt and think it’s important for media organizations to feature extremism experts and researchers in their coverage.
In this episode, we have the long-awaited panel with all the extremism experts we interviewed in the 5 parts of this series:
- Dr. William Allchorn, a researcher at the University of Leeds and the Associate Director of CARR
- Dr. Natalie James, an Assistant Professor of International Relations at the University of Nottingham and Head of the Counter-Extremism Research Unit at CARR
- Dr. Sean Arbuthnot, Prevent Coordinator in the UK and fellow at CARR. We discussed the UK’s Prevent strategy
- Dr. Mario Peucker, a Senior Research Fellow at Victoria University and fellow at CARR
- Ashton Kingdon, a Ph.D. candidate in Web Science at the University of Southampton and a fellow at CARR
We asked questions submitted by our subscribers. You’ll find the timestamps of the discussion below:
Intro – 0:07
Lightning round on the #1 piece of advice they’d give Biden on countering extremism – 1:00
A debate on a domestic terrorism statute – 4:15
Differences between free speech and hate speech (question from Rantt follower Pat) – 13:03
Can media and social media be regulated in a way that prevents extremism (question from Rantt follower Paul) – 29:13
Question on whether there is data indicating religion plays a role in extremism (from Rantt subscriber Katarina) – 46:39
Lightning round on what makes everyone hopeful about the future –54:17
Moments like these require unrelenting truthtelling. We take pride in being reader-funded. If you like our work, support our journalism.